Carlton – right in the centre of everything!
Some of our favourite Landmarks and heritage buildings include;
- La Mama Theatre is located in205 Faraday St, Carlton, it has been nationally and internationally acknowledged as a crucible for cutting edge, contemporary theatre since 1967 http://lamama.com.au/
- Cinema Nova on Lygon Street shows many Australian and international art-house films,
- Readings Bookstore has been a hub for literary and musical connoisseurs since the 1970s.
- Royal Exhibition Building on Rathdowne Street for a list of what is on see our link http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/Placestogo/MuseumsandLibraries/Museums/Pages/2707.aspx
- The Carlton Club, which was built in 1889 by Inskip & Robertson, you must see its decorative Australian native kangaroo gargoyles and polychrome Florentine arche
- The Carlton Post Office and Police Station are both fine Renaissance Revival-styled buildings.
- The Carlton Court House on Drummond Street was designed in the Gothic style by G.B.H Austin and constructed between 1888 and 1889.
- The Lygon Buildings on Lygon Street were built in 1888 in the Mannerist style.
- Carlton Gardens Primary School, on Rathdowne Street, opened in 1884.
- The Police Station (no330 built 1878), Court House (no345-355 built 1887–88) and Medley Hall (no48 built 1892–93)
- Melbourne Trades Hall, and the ruins of the old Carlton Brewery, a collection of buildings constructed between 1864 and 1927
And who doesn’t just love the World Heritage Site of the Carlton Gardens! Which is home to the Melbourne Museum https://museumvictoria.com.au/melbournemuseum/
Carlton is also the home of the Australian rules football club, the Carlton Football Club (‘the Blues’) based in North Carlton Princes Park Football Ground. Food and coffee!! well we like most of Melbourne just love our Little Italy and with so many great places for coffee in Carlton, we simply could not choose! So here are a few great articles perfect for a coffee tour;
Each year the Lygon street traders gather together for Italian Fiesta, for more information please see the website http://www.melbournepoint.com.au/events/lygon-street-fiesta/ and follow their facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/CarltonItalianFesta
If you are looking for a new home in Carlton or want to learn more about the area head to our webpage http://thinkpropertyco.com/portfolio/carlton/ or for landlords sick of the revolving door of agents, come and chat to the team who know what they are doing; Martine Bannister and Randal Sharp, we run and own the business and we care about yours.